Teacher Job Description
The Teacher is responsible for effectively managing the classroom and ensuring all students are safe and have the ability to reach their maximum potential. He/She establishes an inviting classroom environment that promotes learning and is appropriate for all types of development.
The Teacher also assumes any additional responsibilities and duties as may be assigned by the Principal and as otherwise consistent with state and federal law and the policies, rules and regulations of the Board, all as may be amended from time to time.
NOCA teachers should understand their content area, the classical education model and prioritize wonder and joy in the creation and delivery of all their lessons. Students are not the passive recipients of knowledge, but active participants in the discussion. This disciplined and orderly environment facilitates attention, focus, and engagement. The teacher is responsible for leading the class and encouraging students to inquire, discover, and reflect. The Teacher will model skills of a lifelong learner as they initiate continuing education and collaboration with the School’s greater educational team.
- Models the mission, philosophy, and virtues of the school: courage; moderation; justice; responsibility; friendship; prudence; and, wisdom.
- Promotes and participates in a liberal arts and civic education.
- Provides a safe and joyous environment for learning.
- Completes regular observations and assessments for each of his/her students and uses this as the basis to determine the individual short-term and long-term needs of each student.
- Tracks and evaluates student progress through documentation.
- Works with the Intervention Specialist(s) and support staff to develop Individual Education Plans (IEPs) when necessary, and tracks student progress specific to the goals outlined in their IEP.
- Empowers students to view themselves as capable, responsible and competent participants in a rigorous learning environment, and holds all students to high standards of achievement.
- Models failure as a normal and valuable part of learning and teaches students to reflect on and learn from their mistakes.
- Appropriately enforces the School’s Code of Conduct.
- Provides direction and leadership within the classroom by displaying an effective working knowledge of the subject matter and by demonstrating best practices relating to teaching/instructional/management techniques.
- Maintains progress monitoring reports, attendance and behavioral records, academic grades, and other student records as required by state regulatory guidelines and School policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop, plan, and implement best classical education practices aligned with the goals of the school for all students.
- Participates in professional development to support the needs of students and to maintain appropriate certification or credentials based on position.
- Professionally participates in discussion regarding feedback and coaching from administrative staff.
- Develops relationships with parents that encourage open communication and a shared commitment to student success.
- Performs other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the Principal.
- BA/BS degree or higher.
- Certification/licensure in appropriate teaching area from ODE or willingness to work towards gaining licensure.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills/
- Demonstrated ability to and experience in engaging the interest and wonder of school–age children.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with parents.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to perform multiple tasks.
- Proven effective classroom instructional and management skills.
- Passion for creating and implementing creative lesson–planning and innovative teaching practices.
- Cares deeply about students and their learning.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to support students in achieving academic and personal goals.
- Willingness to participate in ongoing documentation and reflection.
- Willingness to be held accountable for student growth.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continued personal and professional growth, and a commitment to model wonder, curiosity and a passion for lifelong learning.
- Self–motivated and confident in informed decision–making.
- Must clear a current background check through the BCI/FBI.