Northwest Ohio Classical Academy (NOCA) seeks a full-time Kindergarten Teacher. Kindergarten teachers are responsible for the education of their students. They are expected to demonstrate high moral character and have mastery of the subjects they teach. Teachers will work collaboratively to create a working and learning environment for all students that is safe, secure, and respectful.
NOCA teachers should understand their content area, the classical education model, and prioritize wonder and joy in the creation and delivery of all their lessons. Students are not the passive recipients of knowledge, but active participants in the discussion. This disciplined and orderly environment facilitates attention, focus, and engagement. The teacher is responsible for leading the class and encouraging students to inquire, discover, and reflect. The Teacher will model skills of a lifelong learner as they initiate continuing education and collaboration with the NOCA’s greater educational team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Models the mission, philosophy, and virtues of the school: courage; moderation; justice; responsibility; friendship; prudence; and wisdom.
- Develop the intellect and character of every student.
- Promotes and participates in a liberal arts and civic education.
- Provides a safe and joyous environment for learning.
- Adheres to all NOCA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook and Family Handbook.
- Tracks and evaluates student progress through documentation.
- Works with the Intervention Specialist(s) and support staff to develop Individual Education Plans (IEPs) when necessary, and tracks student progress specific to the goals outlined in their IEP.
- Provides direction and leadership within the classroom by displaying an effective working knowledge of the subject matter and by demonstrating best practices relating to teaching/instructional/management techniques.
- Maintains progress monitoring reports, attendance and behavioral records, academic grades, and other student records as required by state regulatory guidelines and NOCA policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop, plan, and implement best classical education practices aligned with the goals of the school for all students.
- Participates in professional development to support the needs of students and to maintain appropriate certification or credentials based on position.
- Performs other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the Headmaster.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Certification/licensure in appropriate teaching area from Ohio Department of Education or willingness to work towards gaining licensure.
- Previous experience in classical education is preferred, but not required.
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to and experience in engaging the interest and wonder of school-age children.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continued personal and professional growth, and a commitment to model wonder, curiosity, and a passion for lifelong learning.
- Must clear a current background check through the BCI/FBI.
Strong candidates will support the school’s Mission. They will have a strong background in the subject matter, demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. Strong candidates will foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and mentor students in the pursuit of their own flourishing. They will embody the school’s organizational values.
About Northwest Ohio Classical Academy:
NOCA is Ohio’s first state-chartered, publicly-funded, independently-governed, tuition-free, classical school. It is curriculum school of the Barney Charter School Initiative of Hillsdale College, a network of classical charter schools united by curriculum and purpose. NOCA opened its doors in 2019, with 210 students in grades K-8, and has seen strong and steady growth. It now serves grades K-12 to nearly 600 students. NOCA is a flourishing school with a passionate, dedicated faculty, staff, and families who value and enthusiastically support NOCA’s mission.
To apply, submit an application, a letter of interest, a resume, a statement of classical education, and a list of references to Scott Henry, Headmaster, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of Northwest Ohio Classical Academy is to train the minds and improve the hearts of young people through a rigorous, content-rich classical curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, one that produces thoughtful leaders and virtuous citizens.