Northwest Ohio Classical Academy (NOCA) seeks compassionate Instructional Aides (IAs) and Paraprofessionals to assist our teachers with classroom lessons, activities, organization, and management and to aid and support special needs students. The IA’s/Paraprofessional’s responsibilities include assisting the teacher with teaching new concepts, translating information for students to better understand, supervising students, and providing students with a positive, nurturing guide. The IA/Paraprofessional will work with students, parents, staff, and the community in a professional manner, and follow and uphold school rules and standards.
Instructional Aides and Paraprofessionals should demonstrate patience, care, and empathy when assisting students, as well as professionalism when representing the school. They should have strong management and organizational skills and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Participating in lesson planning sessions and communicating with parents and school officials.
- Co-teaching lessons under the Teacher’s guidance, leading small groups or individual instruction and discussion, and reviewing classwork.
- Organizing the classroom and teaching materials, monitoring the classroom during lessons, and minimizing distractions and disruptions.
- Supervising students in and out of the classroom.
- Attending to students’ physical, personal, academic, and emotional needs.
- Helping Teachers and students with extracurricular activities and school functions.
- Performing clerical duties, such as tracking student attendance, typing, filing, and photocopying.
- Ensuring the upkeep of educational materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Tracking students’ progress and preparing reports for the parents.
- Value a rigorous liberal arts education.
- Instructional Aides are required to have a high school diploma.
- Paraprofessionals are required to have an associate’s degree (although a bachelor’s degree in child development or a related field may be advantageous.)
- Experience working with children and special needs students is preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Competent computer skills required, experience with educational software is preferred.
- Must pass necessary background checks.
All employees at Northwest Ohio Classical Academy will support the school’s Mission: to train the minds and improve the hearts of young people through a rigorous, content-rich classical curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences, one that produces thoughtful leaders and virtuous citizens. They have a strong background in their area of expertise, demonstrate high moral character, and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. Strong candidates will foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and embody the school’s organizational values.
About Northwest Ohio Classical Academy:
NOCA is Ohio’s first state-chartered, publicly-funded, independently-governed, tuition-free, classical school. It is part of the Barney Charter School Initiative of Hillsdale College, a network of classical charter schools united by curriculum and purpose. NOCA opened its doors in 2019, with 210 students in grades K-8, and has seen strong and steady growth. It offered grades K-10 to 420 students in the 2021-22 school year, will serve over 500 students K-11 for 2022-23, and will add 12th grade the following year. The school is acquiring financing for a multi-million-dollar capital improvement and expansion project to break ground in Summer, 2022. It is a flourishing school with a passionate, dedicated faculty, staff, and families who value and enthusiastically support NOCA’s mission.
Salary Range: This role will be compensated based on the level of the applicant’s experience. The contract will be for 35 hours per week during the school year (10 months).
To apply, send a letter of interest, a statement of classical education mission, a resume, and a list of references, including a phone number and email for each, to Scott Henry, Headmaster, at SHenry@nocacademy.org.